Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

: : : :

Question

Greetings! Our English Department has been using your achievement model grading system - modified - we use 80 percent achievement and 20 percent effort. we have been inconsistent with make-up work policy though - what are your thoughts on make-up work (more importanty - time frame issues.

2012-01-18
Michael Blaine

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

Michael, How do you measure effort? I hope you will move to 100% achievement soon.

I think you should allow make-up work till a week before grades are due and after that you
should decide how long you will allow incompletes to last. I favor a stated period of time
into the next semester - somewhere between 3 to 6 weeks.

michael blaine's
Comment

2012-01-24

thanks for the response and i wont ask what my grade is if i get 16 questions right out of
24. the effort grade catches a few things. we use a reading program Accelerated reader
that is 5 percent of it. our formatives fall under this also. like they get full credit for doing
the assignment ( practice or formative) we then use a two place decimal to record the
score. for example you could do 1.03. the one means they did it and the three is the
proficient in the skill part. we are trying incompletes and then they convert to f's (50) after
two weeks. of course or faculty is at different places along the road, but we are moving
forward. the 80/20 is a big step for many. the make-up inconstencey is a killer for us and
i am trying to pen a policy.

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2012-01-25

Sounds like you are doing good things using an approach that works for you.

michael blaine's
Comment

2012-01-24

one more question. if we take make-up work til a week before grades are due - incomplete
last for 3-6 weeks - what becomes the difference between make-up work before the week
and make-up work past the grade due date? any penalty (i am sure you would say no)

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2012-01-25

You are correct that I would say no. Your communication system is - or should be - more than grades so the difference could be in how we communicate in writing or orally. For example, "Jim sometimes has difficulty getting assignments in on time but always submits them before the end of the grading period;" "Joan sometimes has difficulty getting assignments in on time but rarely submits them before the end of the grading period."