Links
Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

Question

I am part of a committee that has been working on outcomes-based reporting for K-6 students(sbp) and helping teachers use PowerTeacher correctly. Many teachers and administrators do not have a full understanding of how to report using the outcomes in the grade book. How do we get the teaches to focus on the achievement of the outcomes, not on the marks on a test? These questions were asked by some administrators and I'm not sure I understand what they are asking. Our committee would appreciate an asnwer to these questions, please. I did look over every single question and I didn't find one that answered these questions completely. Thank you for your time and consideration of this request.

2012-01-03
LInda

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

The way to get teachers to focus on the achievement of outcomes is to insist on two
actions. First, insist that tests are scored by outcomes without an overall score for the test,
so for a math test there may be separate scores for Number Sense, Measurement and Data
Analysis. Second, require that the scores be by level not points - for each outcome
students would receive a score that indicates the level of proficiency - 4 - Excels, 3 -
Proficient, 2 - approaching proficiency, 1 - well below proficiency. The focus is then clearly
on the profile of the student's performance, i.e., strengths and weaknesses.