Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

: : :

Question

Mr O'Connor,
I am a HS English teacher who is required to give a percentage based grade on report cards. I
am flummoxed about how to translate my standards-based assessments and anecdotal
information into a percentage. Frankly, I don't care about the grade, I care about the feedback,
but I still have to negotiate this system because parents, students, and the system understand
the percentage as a ranking device.

Do you know of any source of information for me? It would help an awful lot if I could find some
information directly related to teaching English, as the science/math courses generally have
concrete, master-able skills and concepts to deal with, whereas the English outcomes are
broader (E.g. Student must make a personal response to a text).

2015-10-04
Ruth

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

How do you record the results of your standards-based assessments - one score for
each assessment or scores for each standard identified in each assessment?

Ruth's
Comment

2015-10-04

I've been using scores for each standard identified for each assessment.

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2015-10-05

Organize your standards into 4-10 domains/power standards; determine the overall level for each standard based on the most consistent level with emphasis on the more recent; then use a logic rule to determine the subject grade, e.g., all 4's = 100%, mostly 4's, nothing below a 3 = 90% and so on. You can find further information in my books and books by Guskey, Reeves, Wormeli, Schimmer, Dueck, Brookhart and Vatterott. Also join the Standards-based Learning and Grading Facebook group and participate in #sblchat on Twitter at 9 PM EDT on Wednesdays.

Ruth's
Comment

2015-10-05

Thank you so much for your help, and of giving graciously of your time to answer what is
probably a question you have been asked repeatedly. I will certainly seek out the
resources you note.