Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

: :

Question

What does it mean when my child is pulling scores of 110 in AP classes in a public school rated a 5 out of ten stars. Will the AP courses be more rigorous in a school rated a ten out of ten?

2011-11-07
Ita

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

I do not know the answer to this question so I have to answer with questions. How does one
get scores of 110 (%?) in an AP class? What are the criteria for rating schools out of ten?

Ita's
Comment

2011-11-08

Gradeschools.com rates campuses. I do not know the criteria. The campus in question
has a rating of "5". It is a school loaded with ESL students and a population made up of
mostly Latinos. I am thinking that the curriculum is being dumbed down due to language,
motivation, and lower level math skills of the student population as a whole,and that a
student with 110 is not being challenged to the best of his capabilities.

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2011-11-10

I am not aware of the ratings you describe and I have difficulties with your description of the school population. I have no way of knowing whether the curriculum is dumbed down or not but regardless no student in any school should get 110(%). The % system is an anachronism and it's use should be eliminated.