Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

: :

Question

We are wondering about a policy/guideline in our district regarding teachers returning tests to students. (Unit tests and the like...not Province-wide tests or year end finals.)
I don't believe that it is in line with good assessment practices to provide only the grade and not the test. In some cases, the tests are not even reviewed with students in class.
I would think that if our purpose as teachers is to help our students learn, then use the returned test as an opportunity to provide feedback and review for your students.
There are ways to allow students this chance without compromising the 'security' of the test.
What is your position on this?
Do you know of any school jurisdictions that have a clear policy on the return of tests?
Thank you!

2015-03-09
Kimberly

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

I think tests should always be returned to make sure that they are about learning not just
a score. I am not aware of any district/school policies on this.

Amanda Filsinger's
Comment

2015-05-20

This is my problem with my son's middle school also. Math is the only class he gets any
feedback. All the other classes he just gets a grade with no explanation. How do you
learn anything not being shown what you did wrong? He got a 20% on a 5 minute
speech in communications, but feels discouraged because he felt he did a good job.
20% and zero feedback on what he did wrong? What kind of school does that? They
aren't teaching. Just grading.

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2015-05-20

You are completely correct. I would suggest that you address your concern to the Principal and if you don't get a satisfactory response then try the Curriculum Director or Superintendent at the district level.