Ask the Grade Doctor
Contact Me
Links

Ask The Grade Doctor

Full Question Detail

Return to All Questions

: :

Question

MY DAUGHTER IS 11 SHE HAS ADD BUT SHE HAS NEVER HAD A PROMBLEM IN SCHOOL SHE HAS ALWAYS GOT A'S NOW SHE IS GETTING B'S IN TWO SUBJECTS I ASK HER WHEN SHE HAS A TEST AND SHE SAYS SHE STUDIES IN SCHOOL AND THEN SHE WILL BLAME ME BECAUSE SHE DOES NOT LIKE TO BE GROUNDED HOW DO I GO ABOUT GROUNDING HER AL SHE CARES ABOUT IS PLAYING HER IPAD OR COMPUTER SHE DOES NOT HAVE THESE THINGS DURING THE WEEK ONLY FOR A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF TIME ON THE WEEKEND THANK YOU

2015-02-10
LYNN

The
Grade
Doctor
says:

Personally I don't think punishments like grounding work but the real issue here should
not be her grades but why she is apparently not learning/understanding as well as she
did in the past. First, I would get her to sell-assess - what her strengths and areas for
improvement and what can she do to overcome her weaknesses. Second, I would ask
her teacher(s) the same questions and between the three of you come up with a
learning/improvement plan. Remember, especially at age 11, it is the learning, not the
grades, that is important.

desiree leigh's
Comment

2015-03-02

In my personal opinion if she is getting all A's and 2 B's while also having ADD I do not
see a problem in fact she seems to be quite smart. I think prohaps your being a bit harsh
having such high standards for an 11 year old. I suggest you talk to your daughter about
personal issues she may be having or getting her some medication to help with her ADD
but most importantly is that you understand her perspective on things and listen to what
she has to say, maby offer rewards so she'll have more to strive for rather then scaring
her with the consequensis of what will happen if she doesnt succed that way she can
learn to make goals for herself which will also help her with her ADD

The Grade Doctor's
Comment

2015-03-04

I agree with Desiree Leigh except I would hesitate about using rewards.